Friday, June 28, 2013

A Genealogy Wish List

On a recent podcast episode of Genies Down Under, the host Maria Northcote was discussing various ways she keeps herself organized.  One of her suggestions was keeping a master Wish List of genealogy things she wanted to have IF she had a million dollars to spend, such as a list of vital certificates she wanted to order some day.

I thought "what a  really good suggestion", so I've quickly jotted down my own wish list of vital certificates (birth, death and marriage) of my third and fourth generation direct ancestors that I would like to order copies of for myself someday.

These lists are currently in chronological order, from oldest to most recent events.   I'm fairly certain these events would have been memorialized in an official vital certificate or at the very least a county register, especially since Michigan mandated the collection of this vital information starting in 1867.  But if you know of a courthouse fire, or some other such event that destroyed the earlier records I'm looking for, please let me know so I can strike it off my list.

Birth Certificates:
William Charles Volz - Michigan 1881
Alfred Colburn Roberts - Michigan 1881
William Edward Arntz - Michigan 1882
Betsey Lurene French - Michigan 1882
Mabel Ellen Ogle - Canada 1884
Jennie Violet Clark - Michigan 1886
Robert Harold Wood - Michigan 1893
Lottie Belle Minard - Michigan 1893
Fred Aaron Arntz - Michigan 1908
Emerson Harley Wood - Michigan 1912
Ruth M Volz - Michigan 1914
Elsie Marie Roberts - Michigan 1915

Marriage Certificate:
William Arntz & Betsey French - Michigan 1900
Alfred Roberts & Mable Ogle - Michigan 1900
William Volz & Jennie Clark - Michigan 1907
Robert Wood & Lottie Minard - Michigan 1911
Fred Arntz & Elsie Roberts - Michigan 1933
Emerson Wood & Ruth Volz - Michigan 1934
B Blake Soule & Elsie Roberts - Michigan 1973

Death Certificates:
William Edward Arntz - Michigan 1943
Alfred Colburn Roberts - Michigan 1946
Jennie Violet Volz - Illinois 1948
Betsey Lurene Arntz - Michigan 1948
Mabel Ellen Roberts - Michigan 1958
Robert Harold Wood - Michigan 1961
William Charles Volz - Michigan 1966
Lottie Belle Wood - Michigan 1977
Fred Aaron Arntz - Utah  1994
Elsie Marie Soule - Michigan 1995
Emerson Harley Wood - Missouri 2003
Ruth M Wood - Missouri 2003

If I'm lucky (which occasionally happens), perhaps someone reading this blog already has a copy they'd be willing to share with me so that I don't have to wait till I have a million dollars myself. ;o)  In the meantime, I'm willing to split the cost of ordering any of these certificates with my fellow researchers, so please let me know where our two lists meet.

I'm more than happy to help share in the cost of preserving our collective family history.  But let's keep this our little secret.  I'd rather my husband think this hobby (obsession) is only as expensive as buying me a couple reams of printer paper, some pencils and the occasional software upgrade each year. ;o)

Love & Aloha,
~Cuzn Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...